Friday, August 19, 2011

Regulation

Searching around for flights today, I discovered this:


Oh, what a wonderful world! It only costs $8 to fly from London to Paris! Why, I could go to Paris every day, just for breakfast even and - wait, what's that? $161 of taxes and fees? Nice one, Europe. Nice.

I'm a math person, so let's crunch some numbers here. That's more than a two-thousand percent markup for taxes and fees. The actual cost of flying is 4.73% of the total cost of the ticket. For every dollar you spend on actual travel, you spend over $21 on bureaucracy. What. The fuck.

I'm too lazy to research exactly what's going on here, so I don't want to go all foamy at the mouth about goddamn fascist governments ruining everything ever. Both Heathrow and Charles de Gaulle are privately owned airports after all. For all I know, those fees are unrelated to burdensome regulation. Maybe the $161 is really what it costs per passenger to run an airport, I guess. It's not as if European air travel regulators have a history of doing stupid things that cost airlines $200 million of revenue a day for almost a week.

Oh, wait.


Commencing mouth foaming now.

FUCK YOU, global regulators. I mock you from my private island.

Peace and love,

S. Misanthrope

No comments:

Post a Comment