Thursday, April 7, 2011

Coming Out

Ok, so the philosophy that heretofore has gone unnamed is Ayn Rand's philosophy of Objectivism. I figured I should mention that on the off chance that someone who doesn't personally know me and owe me a favor ends up reading this blog. If you're ever wondering why I don't feel the need to prove that selfish is totes the way to be, it's because Ms. Rand already totally owned that argument, like, forever ago. I'm not going to repeat it here. What I will do is 1. take it for granted and 2. make fun of those who misapply the principle. I think this will make us all better people in the end.

So, to summarize:

-I consider myself a big-O "Objectivist." I have read all of Ms. Rand's philosophical oeuvre and agree with it insofar as I understand it, which is probably not really that far since I am not a philosopher, just a person with a semi-active brain who likes to use big words (speaking of which, did you know there's a word for that?*).
-Although I have read all that shiz, I am in no way an expert nor do I at all represent O'ism. For god's sake, do not look to me as an example of anything.
-There isn't really a third point, I just dislike lists with only two items.

Now we can all look forward to more open, honest, possibly even constructive communication in the future.

Cheers,

S. Misanthrope

*There's also a word meaning "your neighbor whose house is on fire." I have a sneaking suspicion that the insurance industry is responsible for that one.

2 comments:

  1. Can I steal "Although I have read all that shiz, I am in no way an expert nor do I at all represent O'ism. For god's sake, do not look to me as an example of anything" for my.... life? It would've stopped a lot of the unpleasantness directed at me last Autumn...

    Actually, no, peeps woulda just ignored it anyway. Fuckers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't expect it to serve me any better, but at least it's there for the record. (But who am I kidding - no one reads "the record.")

    ReplyDelete