Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Grammar of Signage

Ok, this has really been bugging me, and I don't know the answer. That never happens, because I know everything, so obviously there is a hole in the universe somewhere.

Say you have a sign, with a title ("Strategic Misanthropy," for example), and then you have a subtitle as well (such as "celebrating the species we love to hate.")

How do you properly punctuate and capitalize the subtitle?

It's not a full sentence, so "Celebrating the species we love to hate." isn't right. On the other hand, capitalizing the "C" and leaving off the period doesn't seem right either.

I suppose the correct answer is to capitalize everything in the subtitle as you would for the main title, but I just can't stand being so trigger-happy with capitalization. Rebelling against my German heritage, I suppose.

Since I'm the type of person who would rather be extremely wrong than only partially right, I'm considering going with something like this:

ceLEbrat^inG "THE" speCies' we,:; love TO hATE.!?

I think we've arrived at a very good place, grammatically.

With love,

S. Misanthrope

No comments:

Post a Comment