Thursday, October 7, 2010

Another one that's short


I have a ganglion cyst in my left wrist. It’s not really a big deal. It only hurts sometimes and it just looks like I have an extra wrist bone on the opposite side. But supposedly they do ultimately require treatment and treatment costs money and money I have not.

This is actually Ganglion Cyst Part II: The Return. I had the cyst drained earlier this year. My GP is very nice and cute and probably thinks his glasses make him look young and cool. I asked him how I could have gotten the cyst and we had a conversation that went something like this:

Me: So how did I get this thing?

Doc: Well, the cyst is a pocket of fluid that your body puts out to protect your joints from too much of certain types of motion. This type of cyst is common with glass blowers because they twist their wrists a lot.

Me: Ok, but I don’t blow glass, so how could I have gotten it?

Doc: Mm, it’s usually just glass blowing.

Me: How about typing?

Doc: No.

Me: Cycling?

Doc: No.

Me: Weight lifting? Hand stands? Learning sign language?

Doc: It’s only caused by glass blowing.

Me: …

We sat in awkward silence for a bit, with him peering sideways at me like I was some kind of closet glass blowing deviant. His stare so clearly said “You glass blowing freak, why don’t you just admit it already?” that I actually started to try and think of ways that I might have blown glass without knowing it, like maybe while sleep walking. I left the office not really sure whether or not I was at serious risk of being taken over by a glass blowing version of Tyler Durden in my sleep.

And that’s why I’m really not looking forward to going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment